Last week was full of dramatic changes around here. In comparison, this past week has been a little slow. Not as many things to take pictures of to share with you. But no less eventful – not really.
In the camp newsletter that went out early this spring, we mentioned that when we start building our new chapel, we’re going to need a full-time host couple to take care of volunteer groups that come in. I think we made the request without believing that anyone would take us up on the idea. But… ask and you will receive! Bruce and Loma Boley contacted us not long after that and told us they were interested in the position. For the last few summers they’ve been coming to help out for a week at a time, and their children (Aleisha, Kris and Anna) have been involved as campers even longer than that. Their family arrived Tuesday evening, and are getting settled in at Krestan Hall, where they’ll be living for the duration of this chapel project.
Earlier this year, Roger had been in contact with James and Marie Byler about the possibility of the two of them coming to camp to help with this project too. They’ve been to Bethel Camp several times in the past, and we’ve loved working with them and knew that their expertise would be invaluable. They arrived Thursday evening, and got settled in to the Prophet’s Quarters. (I’m selfishly glad they’re staying there, because I know James will take care of the maintenance needs in that room – they’ve already replaced the shower head. If you stayed in that room this summer, you know it was needed.) 🙂
And now, back to current events.
We had an excavator lined up to start digging our foundation on Thursday, but we got rain instead. So that will have to wait for next week.
We’d also been talking to 3 different people about the possibility of bringing a bulldozer out. Yesterday two (!!) of them showed up, and we got a phone call saying that the third one was available. Oops. Sometimes it pays to overprepare: sometimes it leads to awkward situations.
This morning two loads of gravel were delivered to spread over the foundation after it’s dug out. (The dirt around here here does a fantastic job of soaking up rain and turning into a muddy mess. Hopefully the gravel will prove to be good preventive maintenance.)
Some of you have been praying about our building permit. There were a few glitches, and our architect was told twice that some things needed to be changed before they could approve the site for the proposed building. The approval came through this week, and at the meeting with the architect yesterday, he basically left the project in our hands. He’ll still be available if we have questions, but with that approval, the main part of his job is done.